Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Apr 4, 2022 9:56:34 PM

Where do I enter a long-term capital loss on Turbo Tax Deluxe?

0 3 890
3 Replies
Expert Alumni
Apr 5, 2022 5:17:10 AM

If you are using TurboTax Deluxe Online, you will not be able to report either a current year long-term capital loss or a capital loss carryover.  You must use TurboTax Premier Online or higher for any investment activity.

If you are using the CD/downloaded version of TurboTax Deluxe, use the following steps to report a capital loss carryover:

• Locate the search box in the upper right corner
  • This opens a box where you can type in “capital loss carryover” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click Find
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to capital loss carryover
  • Click on the blue “Jump to capital loss carryover” link and enter your information

Using the CD/downloaded version of TurboTax Deluxe, use the following steps to enter your investment sales:

• Locate the search box in the upper right corner
  • This opens a box where you can type in “investment sales” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click Find
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to investment sales
  • Click on the blue “Jump to investment sales” link and enter your information

Apr 7, 2022 6:08:47 AM

I found that you cannot input a long-term capital loss using the Deluxe version o TuboTax.  I had to upgrade to Premeir to be able to use my long-term capital loss.

Expert Alumni
Apr 7, 2022 6:24:20 AM

You'll enter a capital loss in the investment sales section. Note: If you only have a capital loss carryover from 2016 please see the second set of instructions below.

To enter a capital loss in TurboTax Online:

• Continue your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in and click Take me to my return.)
  • Click Tax Tools (lower left side of the screen).
  • Click Tools.
  • In the pop-up window, select Topic Search.
  • In I'm looking for: box type, the capital.
  • In the results box, scroll down and highlight capital loss, then click GO.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions. You'll be prompted to upgrade to Premier if using a lower version of TurboTax Online.

To enter a capital loss carryover in TurboTax Online:

• Continue your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in and click Take me to my return.)
  • Click Tax Tools (lower left side of the screen).
  • Click Tools.
  • In the pop-up window, select Topic Search.
  • In I'm looking for: box type, the capital.
  • In the results box, scroll down and highlight capital loss carryover, then click GO.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions.