Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Returning Member
posted Feb 19, 2024 6:27:06 PM

Same issue

Possibly the worst part is the instructions on the IRS website: https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8949#en_US_2022_publink[phone number removed]

Spoiler
You received a Form 1099-B or 1099-S (or substitute statement) as a nominee for the actual owner of the propertyNReport the transaction on Form 8949 as you would if you were the actual owner, but also enter any resulting gain as a negative adjustment (in parentheses) in column (g) or any resulting loss as a positive adjustment in column (g). As a result of this adjustment, the amount in column (h) should be zero. However, if you received capital gain distributions as a nominee, report them instead, as described under Capital Gain Distributions in the Instructions for Schedule D (Form 1040).

I did that for my first transaction of course following it you negate the profit, and it does not quite make sense, whether, pretty sure I did not meet the first condition, I found some other documentation that I'm pretty sure was written backwards too (which number you subtract from which, it made no sense) I think it was related to RSU cost basis on the IRS website but I don't remember.

My plan is to just try again in a few days.

0 1 473
1 Replies
Returning Member
Feb 19, 2024 6:30:17 PM