Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 3, 2019 12:42:13 PM

If my rental property was used as my primary home for a portion of the year will I select qualified interest or non-qualified interest for mortgage interest?

Turbo Tax states to select Qualified Interest if the property is your Primary Home or Vacation home.  The home is no longer my Primary Home, but was for a portion of the year. Does this make it qualified interest?

I did enter the information for how long it was a rental and how long it was a primary home and Turbo Tax says it will automatically prorate.  

0 3 1624
1 Best answer
Expert Alumni
Jun 3, 2019 12:42:14 PM

It is qualified interest for the mortgage interest deduction and the rental activity.  And TurboTax will do the calculations and carry the deductions to both the rental and the itemized deductions as long as you entered the information only the rental activity.  This eliminates doubling it by mistake.

3 Replies
Expert Alumni
Jun 3, 2019 12:42:14 PM

It is qualified interest for the mortgage interest deduction and the rental activity.  And TurboTax will do the calculations and carry the deductions to both the rental and the itemized deductions as long as you entered the information only the rental activity.  This eliminates doubling it by mistake.

Jun 3, 2019 12:42:16 PM

I followed your instructions, but the amount isn't appearing in the Expenses Summary Details under Qualified Mortgage Insurance??!!?

Expert Alumni
Jun 3, 2019 12:42:17 PM

@derosrd The answers to the questions in the rental section might be the factor.  You can divide the expense yourself and enter the correct portion in each section.  Check your forms to view both the Schedule E and Schedule A.