Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Apr 25, 2020 12:59:08 AM

How to report a nominal income of about $900 from car rental at Turo in turbo tax. I reported it under the self employed section for additional income. Is that correct

0 4 951
4 Replies
Level 15
Apr 25, 2020 6:52:23 AM

Unless you are in the business of renting out the car I would say no that is not correct ... did you get a 1099-misc form for the rental ?   If so was the amount in box 3 or 7 ?      Do you have any expenses to report (or wish to report )  against this income ?  

Apr 25, 2020 11:08:36 AM

I did not get any 1099 misc as the rental company (Turo) do not give out for small transactions or amount.  Also I am not really into the business of it. I wanted to try out how it works and I have already stopped renting out. From expense there were mostly oil changes , washes and standard stuff amounting to couple hundred bucks. 

Level 15
Apr 25, 2020 3:19:01 PM

The easy way to report the income  is to just  enter the income without expenses on the Sch 1 : 

You can report it as other income on Sch 1  line 8. Here's how to enter it in TurboTax.

• Click the Federal Taxes tab ( Personal in the Home & Business version)
  • Click Wages & Income. (Personal income in the H & B version)
  • On the screen "Your 2019 Income Summary," scroll all the way down to the last section, "Less Common Income."
  • Click the Start or Update button for the last topic, "Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C."
  • On the next screen, "Let's Work on Any Miscellaneous Income," scroll down and click the Start or Update button for the last topic, "Other reportable income."
  • The next screen asks, "Did you receive any other taxable income." Click Yes.
  • On the next screen, "Other Taxable Income," enter a description and the amount. Click Continue.
  • On the next screen click Done.

Apr 26, 2020 9:49:41 PM

Thanks a lot .