Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 7, 2019 3:59:58 PM

How do I find out how much I have depreciated rental property in the past?

I have owned a rental property for about 8 years.  I depreciated it the first few years,  but then I had to file as "married filing separately" for the past 5-6 years because of my wife's student loans so I couldn't claim the depreciation.  I am filing jointly for the first time in years, so I can claim the depreciation but I have no idea how much I have depreciated it in the past.  My returns were prepared by a professional since I have owned this property and I am trying to prepare my taxes for the first time this year.  Is there somewhere on my 2015 taxes I could find this?

0 1 5699
1 Best answer
Expert Alumni
Jun 7, 2019 4:00:00 PM

Yes, you should have worksheets in your prior year tax return paperwork that includes current and prior depreciation for your Rental Property.

• If you used software to prepare your taxes last year, look for a record of the asset or for a summary depreciation report or schedule. In TurboTax, this report is called "Depreciation and Amortization Report" (see screenshot below - click to enlarge).
  • If you used a professional, review your copy for a record of the asset or for a depreciation report or schedule. If you do not see any of these, contact that preparer for a copy.

1 Replies
Expert Alumni
Jun 7, 2019 4:00:00 PM

Yes, you should have worksheets in your prior year tax return paperwork that includes current and prior depreciation for your Rental Property.

• If you used software to prepare your taxes last year, look for a record of the asset or for a summary depreciation report or schedule. In TurboTax, this report is called "Depreciation and Amortization Report" (see screenshot below - click to enlarge).
  • If you used a professional, review your copy for a record of the asset or for a depreciation report or schedule. If you do not see any of these, contact that preparer for a copy.