Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Apr 5, 2024 11:17:40 AM

How do I account for Non Resident Taxes in Belgium for owning a rental

This is a complicated one. I own a house in Belgium which I rent. Recently, Belgium has started taxing non-residents, regardless of the income they make, by taxing the potential rental income. I was planning to just deduct the taxes as expenses from the rental income I declare in the US but Turbotax suggested I may be able to credit the taxes paid by filling out form 1116. The taxes are calculated based on property value. They are NOT property taxes. What should I do? Form 1116? What income and expenses should I use for the income. The same as the expenses used in the rental income form? Should I just forget about form 1116? Turbotax does not seem to account for my case.

0 1 1038
1 Replies
Level 15
Apr 10, 2024 11:53:40 AM

@Nordine011 , assuming that you are a US person ( citizen/GreenCard /Resident for Tax Purposes ),  and since the taxes being levied by Belgium is based on value and not on rental. income,  it is not in  the character  of income tax.   Thus I would conclude that  this tax is a tax on the property ( additional? ) and therefore  put in as an expense under taxes . licenses, permits  etc. on Schedule-E.

Is there more I can do for you ?