Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 1, 2019 12:07:16 AM

Home interest deductions/rental property

My wife and I married on 5/29/16.  Prior to our marriage, she owned her own home [PII removed] in Charlotte.   After our marriage, we moved into the home that I own.  We began to rent her property as of 8/1/16.   How do I show the mortgage interest, prop taxes, etc. for her home.   Do I pro rate the amounts between Schedule A for the time if was owned and the schedule for Rental Income?  Thanks

0 1 400
1 Best answer
Expert Alumni
Jun 1, 2019 12:07:18 AM

Yes, allocate each portion to personal/rental. Ex: Lived in home for 7 months and rental for 5 months. Allocate 60% of interest/property taxes as a personal deduction and 40% as a rental deduction. 

For following year, if the property continues as a rental, all of the interest/property taxes will be entered on the rental side.

On the page, Do Any of These Situations Apply to This Property?, mark the boxes for first year to rent and that the property was converted from personal use to a rental in 2016.

1 Replies
Expert Alumni
Jun 1, 2019 12:07:18 AM

Yes, allocate each portion to personal/rental. Ex: Lived in home for 7 months and rental for 5 months. Allocate 60% of interest/property taxes as a personal deduction and 40% as a rental deduction. 

For following year, if the property continues as a rental, all of the interest/property taxes will be entered on the rental side.

On the page, Do Any of These Situations Apply to This Property?, mark the boxes for first year to rent and that the property was converted from personal use to a rental in 2016.