Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 3
posted May 25, 2021 4:52:53 PM

Forgot to file De Minimus Safe Harbor Election

Hello,

Quick question.  I already filed my 2020 taxes but forgot to elect the De Minimus Safe Harbor $2,500 for two of my five rental properties for a new garage door ($800), blinds ($1,800), fridge ($1,900), washer ($500) dryer ($500) and garage door opener ($250).  I usually use TT Premiere (rental properties and investments) and since I have never been able to find the election forms I just physically mail it in to the IRS each year.  I expensed each of these items under either other or repairs.  Since I did not file my Election what should I do?  Any suggestions?   Also, any suggestions on how to find how to make the election in TT Premiere?

0 4 395
4 Replies
Level 15
May 25, 2021 7:46:36 PM

By the act of expensing those items you made that election automatically ... there is nothing more to it than that.    

Level 15
May 26, 2021 5:54:17 AM

Do nothing unless the IRS questions it. If the IRS questions it do "exactly" whatever the letter you get from the IRS tells you to do. No more. No less. I myself expensed a new washer/dryer 2 years ago and forgot to include the statement. So far, I've heard nothing from the IRS and I'm not losing sleep over it.

Level 3
May 27, 2021 10:45:11 AM

Thanks for reply. Much appreciated

Level 3
May 27, 2021 10:46:48 AM

Thanks - thats what i think i will do.  I have caught mistakes in the past and i have always done nothing and never been audited or asked questions.  Regards