Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Apr 5, 2020 3:29:46 PM

Fair Rental Price question please?

Hello,

I am working on my tax return and stuck with this question, hopefully someone can help me out. I wanted to make sure I do it correctly. I am at Fair Rental Price question, the website explains the rent when people charge is not a fair rental price if it's substantially less than the rents charged for other properties that are similar to your property in your area. I assumed in other word, it's lower than then the rental market? When I checked, it showed that our house would rent it out for around $2100+, but I only rented to this Veteran family for $1800, which I feel it's necessary. So,  the question is...I should select "No" to the question "During the time the property was a rental, was it always rented at a fair rental price? If I select "No" I have 2 options, "Days rented at a fair rental price (between 0 and 365). "Personal use during year (between 0 and 364". Hope someone could help me out with this.  Thanks so much in advance.

kt

0 1 544
1 Replies
Expert Alumni
Apr 6, 2020 12:25:42 PM

Response to if my rental is less than fair market value what can I do

Please see the above TurboTax response.  As you are renting it for a profit,  you should enter the rental income and expenses in the rental section of TurboTax.