Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 4, 2019 7:34:55 PM

Do my children have to pay capital gains on rental properties i own, when i die?

0 1 1318
1 Best answer
Jun 4, 2019 7:34:57 PM

It depends but they will not have to pay any capital gains tax on the property if the property is inherited. They will just get a step-up in the basis to the fair market value (FMV) on the date of passing.

After your children inherit the rental property - they would only have to pay any capital gains taxes between the FMV on the date of inheritance and date of a future sale. (Also Inherited property always qualifies for long-term capital gains treatment (even if held for less than a year)).

1 Replies
Jun 4, 2019 7:34:57 PM

It depends but they will not have to pay any capital gains tax on the property if the property is inherited. They will just get a step-up in the basis to the fair market value (FMV) on the date of passing.

After your children inherit the rental property - they would only have to pay any capital gains taxes between the FMV on the date of inheritance and date of a future sale. (Also Inherited property always qualifies for long-term capital gains treatment (even if held for less than a year)).