Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 2
posted Jun 6, 2022 12:05:35 AM

Capital Gains Loss

Hello,  If I do not make any income in year 1 and have $2,000 in stock market losses, then the following year 2, I make an income, can I use those losses from year 1 towards my taxable income in year 2?   

Thank you in advance for the response,

ML

0 4 559
4 Replies
Level 15
Jun 6, 2022 12:23:54 AM

yes because with no income in year 1 you do not lose any capital loss carryover

however, you must file in year 1 so the IRS doesn't bounce the return in year 2 for the use of an unreported capital loss carryforward.

Level 15
Jun 6, 2022 5:44:10 AM

It depends on what   "I  do not make any income in year 1" means.

If you had no income, at all, then your entire capital loss carries forward to the next year. If you only mean you had no income from investment sales, then your capital loss, in year 1 (up to $3000), is used to reduce your other income in year 1 and will not carry forward to year 2. 

This also assumes your stock market losses were "realized" in year 1.  That is you actually sold stocks and realized the loss and didn't just have a reduction in the value of your stock holdings. 

Level 2
Jun 6, 2022 8:23:12 AM

Thanks Mike, greatly appreciated!

Level 2
Jun 6, 2022 8:28:18 AM

Thanks Hal, I appreciate the response.  Yes, those losses would be realized year 1 and I was also referring to not having regular job related earned income as well, thanks for clarifying.