Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Not applicable
posted Jun 4, 2019 7:57:43 PM

Can a for profit company submit a 1099-MISC for rent they pay me (as a landlord), if they are being reimbursed from a tax exempt organization (church)?

I am a landlord for a single unit vacation rental (Like AirBnB/VRBO). I have a request from a for profit company, that does fund raising for the Catholic church. If I accept their booking request, would they end up sending me a 1099-MISC, even if they are getting reimbursed from a tax exempt organization like the Catholic Church? I don't want to complicate my small business return. I have never rented out to a potential guest like this.

0 3 733
1 Best answer
Level 15
Jun 4, 2019 7:57:45 PM

What they do is none of your concern ... if you rent the property to them then they can send you a 1099 for their records period, end of story for you. 

3 Replies
Level 15
Jun 4, 2019 7:57:45 PM

What they do is none of your concern ... if you rent the property to them then they can send you a 1099 for their records period, end of story for you. 

Not applicable
Jun 4, 2019 7:57:46 PM

If they submitted a 1099 to me (which I have received in the past from other booking agencies) but they are getting reimbursed... isn't that "double dipping" as far as the IRS is concerned? Not my problem I know. Just nervous about getting caught up in some IRS mess or triggering an audit for being connected with something like that.I should just treat it as regular income should I accept the booking and report like I always have?

Level 15
Jun 4, 2019 7:57:47 PM

Just report the income you make and don't worry about their books.