KatieH
Community Manager

Official COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and extension thread

For the latest updates, refer to this article: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/articles/community-news-announcements/is-the-tax-deadline-delayed-...

This Help Article is also available for reference:

How are my taxes affected by Covid-19?

Post your questions here for expert answers to help us guide each other during these unprecedented times.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

I'm nearly done with my tax return. Since I owe a few thousand bucks, I need set up a direct debit payment date.

According to TurboTax's On Demand Tax Guide, "the requested payment date should not be later than April 15, 2020".

Since Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin just announced that the IRS will waive interest and penalty charges for 90 days for Americans who owe up to $1 million in taxes. Does this mean that I can safely set the direct debit payment date to some time in July, say, July 15th?

Thanks!

I have the same question

@hyfeng wrote:

I'm nearly done with my tax return. Since I owe a few thousand bucks, I need set up a direct debit payment date.

According to TurboTax's On Demand Tax Guide, "the requested payment date should not be later than April 15, 2020".

Since Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin just announced that the IRS will waive interest and penalty charges for 90 days for Americans who owe up to $1 million in taxes. Does this mean that I can safely set the direct debit payment date to some time in July, say, July 15th?

First, nothing is official yet, despite the president's announcement.  Watch the IRS web site here

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus

or Turbotax's blog here,

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/articles/community-news-announcements/is-the-tax-deadline-delayed-...

What has been proposed is a delay of the payment deadline if you owe a payment, but not a delay of the filing deadline.  (But nothing is official yet.)

Second, you should expect that if the IRS changes the payment deadline, it will take at least 2 weeks to program the change into Turbotax and release a new update.  

What you can do now is select in Turbotax, "I will pay by mail."  Then whenever you are ready, mail a check or make a direct payment at the IRS web site irs.gov/payments.  You can pay be direct debit from your bank account for free, or use a credit card and pay a service charge.  It would be your responsibility to pay "on time", whatever that turns out to be. 

Bees
Level 7

CNBC is reporting on March 17  that there will be a 3 month delay

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/17/treasury-and-irs-to-delay-tax-deadline-by-90-days.html

Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.

@Bees wrote:

CNBC is reporting on March 17  that there will be a 3 month delay

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/17/treasury-and-irs-to-delay-tax-deadline-by-90-days.html

Yes but there are unanswered questions.  It won't be official until the IRS releases a notice, and it will still take time for Turbotax to program a change to allow a debit date post-4/15. 

I have already filed my taxes and owe to the Feds.  I put in a date of 4/15 to have monies withdrawn from my account.  If we do get the delay to pay, will I be able to change this date?

@vltouchstone wrote:

I have already filed my taxes and owe to the Feds.  I put in a date of 4/15 to have monies withdrawn from my account.  If we do get the delay to pay, will I be able to change this date?

It is just to soon to be able to answer that question.  Within a day or two the information will be released and we all will know the particulars.

My personal opinion is that no you cannot change the date since the tax return has already been filed and accepted by the IRS.  You would have to cancel the payment and then pay the taxes owed at later date on or before July 15, 2020.  But we all will have to wait and see for the exact instructions from the IRS.

See this TurboTax blog post for the latest TurboTax information - https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-news/is-the-tax-deadline-delayed-what-to-know-about-coronavirus...

RobertG
Expert Alumni

At this point, we don't know.

We do not currently have the capability to change the auto debit date, or enter a date after 4/15.

An announcement will be made when we do.

@vltouchstone

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@vltouchstone wrote:

There is no way in Turbotax to change the date once you have transmitted your return. 

The IRS has a phone number to cancel or change payment dates, assuming that someone answers.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/pay-taxes-by-electronic-funds-withdrawal

You could also ask your bank to block the withdrawal, and then mail a check or make a payment on the IRS web site before the new deadline.  But the IRS will charge you a "bounced check fee" if they try to make an electronic withdrawal and it is blocked. 

• Once your return is accepted, information pertaining to your payment, such as account information, payment date, or amount, cannot be changed. If changes are needed, the only option is to cancel the payment and choose another payment method.
  • Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling.
  • Cancellation requests must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. ET two business days prior to the scheduled payment date.
Bees
Level 7

@hyfeng   You can say that you are paying by check and then wait until last minute to see what regulations will be.  Then use https://www.irs.gov/payments  . 

Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.
mflo23
Returning Member

I filed my taxes , had them accepted and set up my bank to have the money I owe taken out 4/15. How do I go about defer payment for that extra 90 days. Will TurboTax have a procedure in place to do that???

The IRS already had a method in place ... has for years ... once you have successfully filed Turbotax is no longer involved so expect no help from them ...

• Once your return is accepted, information pertaining to your payment, such as account information, payment date, or amount, cannot be changed. If changes are needed, the only option is to cancel the payment and choose another payment method.
  • Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling.
  • Cancellation requests must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. ET two business days prior to the scheduled payment date.

what if you e-filed already,IRS accepted and you set up a direct debit for 4/15/20 for the amount you owe and you want to change the direct debit date to 7/15/20  as per the government/IRS proclamation? What is the procedure to get that accomplished?