gdballa03

Where do I input my spouse's income?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

First make sure you entered them under Personal Info and you are filing a Joint return. And when Turbo Tax says YOU on a Joint return it means either of you.

Does your spouse have W2 income or something else?

To add a  W2 just type w2 (small W)  in the search box at the top of your return and click on Jump To the W2

OR  To Add a W2 enter it under
Federal Taxes Tab
Wages & Income
Choose Jump to Full List -or  I'll choose what I work on
Then Wages and Salaries- Click the Start or Update button

Then if you are married you should have 2 buttons...Add w-2 for (taxpayer name) and Add w-2 for (spouse name). Click on the correct button to add a W-2.

BE SURE TO ENTER A W2 UNDER THE RIGHT PERSON'S NAME!  If you enter one for the wrong person you might get a letter from the IRS and owe more taxes!  So double check it!

View solution in original post

bohls1951

Thank you

If my husband input his info on his account, then we decided to do jointly instead of separately, does his W-2 info carry over on to the joint one with his SSN since he’s already in Turbo Tax too?

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

No, you will have to enter all of your husband's information into the joint account. 

You can follow these steps in TurboTax to add his W-2:

1. Open your tax return. 
  2. Search for W-2 with the magnifying glass tool on the top of the page. 
  3. Select the Jump to W-2 link at the top of the search results.
  4. Click on Add a W-2.
  5. Follow the on screen instructions to add your his W-2.

@cdockter2

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Okay. We did them under my account, so we have to create a joint account, or does marking as filing jointly count as joint account? Thanks!

@cdockter2 

When you enter your own information in My Info, you have to answer the question "Were you married?"  If you click the button for Married, then a drop down will appear that asks, "Do you want to file this return together with your spouse?"  Then you choose yes to file a joint return.  You would then enter your spouse's information into Personal Info.

Whenever you are entering income information there should then be a spot for you and for your spouse's income information with your names by them.

When you prepare a joint return you include all the information for both spouses on the SAME tax return.  Include all of your personal information, all of your income from every source, all dependents (if any), all credits and deductions for both of you.  You get ONE refund with both names on it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Okay, the joint account confused me, thank you for clarifying! So it’s fine we did it under my account since I selected we were filing jointly. Thanks to both responders!

Your personal account will become your joint account and his old account will simply go dormant.  Before he forgets how to access it he should log in and download all the PDF & .taxfiles  to save for the future.  You should do the same ... save them all to a removable storage unit like a thumb drive to keep them safe and have them available anytime you need them.  

Also ... once you file a joint return keep the positions the same going forward ... switching positions on a tax return confuses the IRS so don't do it.