For tax year 2019, the IRS automatically extended April 1, 2020 through July 14, 2020 filing and payment deadlines to July 15 in response to the COVID-19 crisis. More info
IRS Form 7004 further extends the July 15 deadline:
- 2-1/2 months (to September 30, 2020) for Form 1041, U.S. Income Tax Return for Estates and Trusts
- 2 months (to September 15, 2020) for Forms 1065, U.S. Return of Partnership Income and 1120S, U.S. Income Tax Return for an S Corporation
- 3 months (to October 15, 2020) for Form 1120, U.S. Corporation Income Tax Return (unless the fiscal year ends June 30, in which case the return is due September 15, 2020 and the extension gives another 7 months to April 15, 2021).
One way to file Form 7004 is by downloading and printing the form from the IRS website, filling it out according to the IRS instructions, and mailing it to the address given on page 4 of the instructions.
If you're using TurboTax Business to prepare your return, you can also print a 7004 through the program:
- With your return open in TurboTax Business, click Search in the upper-right corner and search for extend.
- Click the "jump-to" link at the top of your search results.
- Select Extension of time to file (Form 7004) and continue.
- Follow the instructions to prepare and print your 7004 form. This form cannot be e-filed. We'll provide the mailing address and any payment instructions.