Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Apr 24, 2024 9:05:14 AM

Selling a secondary home

I am selling a second home that was being lived in by my daughter.  We have not lived in the home in the last five years. I want to sell the home and buy another home with the profit of the sale. I intend to use all the profit to buy the second home and use as a rental. I am married. Do I need to pay tax on the profit? Can I defer the tax by using all the profit to buy the second home? Is there other ways to shelter the profit of the sale ?

0 6 1722
1 Best answer
Expert Alumni
Apr 24, 2024 9:26:28 AM

At this point, no, you would have to pay taxes on the sale of the second home (personal use assuming your daughter is not paying fair rental amounts and you not are treating the property as a rental).  

If the property was a business/rental property, you may be able to defer the gain using a 1031 exchange.  Your original property needs to be a business (rental) property to qualify; second homes or personal use properties do not qualify.

Basically there is a process whereby you can exchange like business properties and the gain on the sale of your original property is deferred until you sell the new property.  Here is a link with more information on the process. 

6 Replies
Level 15
Apr 24, 2024 9:23:55 AM

The last time you could avoid capital gain tax by using the money from selling a home to buy another home was in 1997.  Yes, you will owe tax on the gain from selling your second home, even if you re-invest the money into the purchase of another home.

Level 1
Apr 24, 2024 9:25:59 AM

Can you do a 1031 exchange?

Expert Alumni
Apr 24, 2024 9:26:28 AM

At this point, no, you would have to pay taxes on the sale of the second home (personal use assuming your daughter is not paying fair rental amounts and you not are treating the property as a rental).  

If the property was a business/rental property, you may be able to defer the gain using a 1031 exchange.  Your original property needs to be a business (rental) property to qualify; second homes or personal use properties do not qualify.

Basically there is a process whereby you can exchange like business properties and the gain on the sale of your original property is deferred until you sell the new property.  Here is a link with more information on the process. 

Level 1
Apr 24, 2024 9:41:02 AM

What about 1031 like kind exhcanges?

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-news/fs-08-18.pdf

Expert Alumni
Apr 24, 2024 10:47:04 AM

From my earlier post and the link provided and extracted below, "Your property needs to be a business (rental) property to qualify; second homes or personal use properties do not qualify."

"Both properties must be held for use in a trade or business or for investment. Property used primarily for personal use, like a primary residence or a second home or vacation home, does not qualify for like-kind exchange treatment."

Level 1
Apr 24, 2024 5:48:55 PM

thanks for the great information this helped and answered my question