An extension doesn't give you extra time to pay your taxes, which are due April 15, 2019 (June 17, 2019 for taxpayers out of the country). But even if you can't pay your taxes by the deadline, file an extension anyway so you can avoid the late-filing penalty.
To paper-file your IRS extension (Form 4868) in the TurboTax CD/Download software:
- Open your return and in the upper menu, select Search Topics.
- Type in extend, select extend then OK.
- On the Applying for an Extension screen, answer Yes to Do you want to apply for an extension?
- Follow the onscreen instructions. We'll tell you where to mail the extension form.
- Download Form 4868 from the IRS website, print it out, fill it in, and postmark it before April 15 midnight. Complete mailing instructions are on the printout.
- Or, e-file your extension with our free TurboTax Easy Extension service (available March 20 through June 17; requires U.S. or APO/FPO/DPO address).