Your employer will send you Form 3922, Transfer of Stock Acquired Through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan Under Section 423(c), if you purchased ESPP stock during the tax year.
If you didn't sell any ESPP stock, don't enter anything from your 3922. Simply keep it with your tax or investment paperwork, in case you need to correct the cost basis when you later sell the shares.
Once you sell the shares, the brokerage firm that handles your ESPP should send you Form 1099-B, which reports the sale. If the cost basis in box 1e is wrong, here's where you can use your 3922:
- In TurboTax, search for 1099-b and select the link.
- Answer Yes on the Did you sell stocks, mutual funds, bonds, or other investments ... screen.
- Select Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds on the OK, what type of investments did you sell? screen and Continue.
- Continue through and enter or select your financial institution to import your forms directly, or select I'll type it in myself if you don't want to upload.
- On the Tell us about your 1099-B sales screen, answer the questions, and answer Yes under Do these sales include any employee stock?
- Select Continue.
- Add your details from your 1099-B and Continue.