Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Nov 8, 2020 10:05:50 AM

Increasing Credit Limit - Good or Bad?

Hello,

I recently saw my credit score decrease ever so slightly due to my increased "usage" - calculated as a percentage of my credit limit. I was interesting in increasing this limit (assuming that I would qualify), but was wondering what the impact of this would be on my credit score (whether it be good or bad). Also, how much of an increase should I request (should I just do the max I'm eligible for or is there another formula that can be used)? 

Thanks!

0 2 661
1 Best answer
Level 15
Nov 8, 2020 1:03:37 PM

Although a credit limit increase is generally good for your creditrequesting one could temporarily ding your score. That's because credit card issuers will sometimes perform a hard pull on your credit to verify you meet their standards for the higher limit.

For more information, see the following:

How to Increase Your Credit Limit (Without Harming Your Score)

https://creditcards.usnews.com/articles/how-to-increase-your-credit-limit-without-harming-your-score#:~:text=Although%20a%20credit%20limit%20increase,standards%20for%20the%20higher%20limit.

2 Replies
Level 15
Nov 8, 2020 1:03:37 PM

Although a credit limit increase is generally good for your creditrequesting one could temporarily ding your score. That's because credit card issuers will sometimes perform a hard pull on your credit to verify you meet their standards for the higher limit.

For more information, see the following:

How to Increase Your Credit Limit (Without Harming Your Score)

https://creditcards.usnews.com/articles/how-to-increase-your-credit-limit-without-harming-your-score#:~:text=Although%20a%20credit%20limit%20increase,standards%20for%20the%20higher%20limit.

Level 4
Nov 9, 2020 9:23:34 AM

I agree with @bluedeb, but I generally think credit score is unimportant. The important thing is get to a position where you have enough assets collateralizing any debts, if you have debts at all, that the credit score doesn't matter.