Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jan 27, 2020 4:27:15 PM

Qualifying for the education tax credit, slightly above the income level needed to qualify.

Last year we were able to use the education tax credit, and that resulted in a $4K credit, which put us close to break even on taxes withheld and taxes owed. This year we made $13K over the income limit that determines qualification, which means our we can't use the $4K tax credit (we made an extra $13K, and our actual taxes went up by $4K. Not even the highest tax bracket in America sees that % in tax increase year over year).

Is there anything we can do to reduce our income for 2019 from $173K to $160K? Can we purchase IRAs? Married filing jointly, both over 50 in 2019.

0 2 483
2 Replies
Level 15
Jan 27, 2020 4:39:01 PM

While you don’t get the full credit with income over $160,000 you do get some credit. 

Regarding the IRA, you can each contribute $7,000. Whether the contribution will be an adjustment to income depends on whether you have a retirement plan at work.  You can put the contributions into Turbotax and see the effect on your tax situation. 

Jan 29, 2020 3:37:08 PM

I just entered the information for wife and daughter. Both had 1098-T forms. Neither one lowered my taxes, in fact they went up because of the scholarship my wife got. I think $160K is a hard cutoff, you get zero tax benefit for paying for college for anyone in the family. We are seriously paying and additional $4K in taxes on $13K of additional income.