Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jan 23, 2020 5:47:23 AM

For my student loan deduction it is under my mother's name but I am the one who makes the payments...do I not qualify for the deduction or is this something my mother would have to report on her taxes

Im just unsure of what to do since I do make the payments but since I'm not a dependant...I don't know how this impacts me? Thank you for the help!

0 2 325
2 Best answers
Expert Alumni
Jan 23, 2020 6:07:43 AM

It's not enough that you paid the student loan. You or your mother have to meet ALL of the following to get the deduction:

• You paid interest on a qualified student loan in tax year 2019.
  • You can take the deduction as a student, or as a parent making payments on your dependent student’s loan. However, you or your spouse, if filing jointly, can't be claimed as dependents on someone else's return.
  • You're legally obligated to pay interest on a qualified student loan. You also signed for the loan.
  • Your filing status isn't married filing separately.
  • Your MAGI is less than a specified amount, which is set annually.
  • For additional information, please see Can I claim my student loan?

To enterWhere do I enter student loan interest (Form 1098-E)?

Level 15
Jan 23, 2020 7:24:29 AM

You cannot deduct it since you are not legally required to pay it.

Your mother can deduct under the theory that you paying it is considered a gift to her. If the 1098-E comes to her, that will keep the IRS away. But, it would be better if you gave the money to her and let her pay it directly. 

2 Replies
Expert Alumni
Jan 23, 2020 6:07:43 AM

It's not enough that you paid the student loan. You or your mother have to meet ALL of the following to get the deduction:

• You paid interest on a qualified student loan in tax year 2019.
  • You can take the deduction as a student, or as a parent making payments on your dependent student’s loan. However, you or your spouse, if filing jointly, can't be claimed as dependents on someone else's return.
  • You're legally obligated to pay interest on a qualified student loan. You also signed for the loan.
  • Your filing status isn't married filing separately.
  • Your MAGI is less than a specified amount, which is set annually.
  • For additional information, please see Can I claim my student loan?

To enterWhere do I enter student loan interest (Form 1098-E)?

Level 15
Jan 23, 2020 7:24:29 AM

You cannot deduct it since you are not legally required to pay it.

Your mother can deduct under the theory that you paying it is considered a gift to her. If the 1098-E comes to her, that will keep the IRS away. But, it would be better if you gave the money to her and let her pay it directly.