Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Mar 21, 2024 12:38:24 PM

1099-NEC

I received a 1099 - NEC for a scholarship.  How do I report it? If I report it in the business income, how do classify the business? Is it a cash business? Do I owe Self Employment taxes on it?

Greatly appreciate any help. 

0 3 535
3 Replies
Level 15
Mar 21, 2024 2:35:08 PM

The IRS considers anything on a form 1099-NEC to be self employment income. Enter the 1099 income, at 1099-MISC and Other Common income / income from a 1099-NEC . TurboTax (TT) will complete Schedule C  for you and allow you to deduct any expenses associated with this income. You'll also have to pay self employment tax (social security & Medicare) on any profits greater than $432. If you try reporting 1099-NEC income as anything else, you chances of hearing from the IRS are  higher.  But, if it was a one time thing, it's easier to prove. 

That said, scholarships are not reported on a 1099-NEC or even a 1099-MISC.  What are the circumstances of you receiving this "scholarship".  Who did you get it from and why did  you get it?  Was the money paid to you or to the school? If to the school, was it also reported in box 5 of your 1098-T?

Mar 21, 2024 4:26:18 PM

It is a scholarship award from an industry organization (construction), not an educational institution. It was paid directly to me not my university. I also received a 109-T from my university. For the business classification should I then list construction not education?

Level 15
Mar 21, 2024 5:50:22 PM

Q. For the business classification should I then list construction not education?

A. Yes.