Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 5, 2019 3:28:59 PM

Where to report Shareholder distributions on 1120S - which line on the balance sheet?

I am trying to report that I have distributed business income to shareholders, but I need to know which line on the balance sheet (Schedule L) to report this on. 

Thanks.

0 3 9553
3 Replies
Expert Alumni
Jun 5, 2019 3:29:01 PM

Shareholder distributions reduce equity, which is a the bottom of the Balance Sheet.

In TurboTax, report distributions to shareholders under Business Info >> Member/Partner Information. Edit each member to report contributions, distributions, other adjustments, and ending capital. Your entries in this section flow to the Balance Sheet and to the individual Schedules K-1.

Note that you may not be required to include a balance sheet. Read more here:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302277

Jun 5, 2019 3:29:02 PM

Thanks for the response Patricia. In my case, I need to report the balance sheet. However, I think the following may be the right recourse - to report the dividend distribution on line 16 D of schedule K. This draw from the business income from line 1 Schedule K which is line 21 on 1120S. That dividend distribution will also show up on schedule M-2 line 7 (essentially, the business income that comes to the sole owner of the LLC). Is this correct?

Expert Alumni
Jun 5, 2019 3:29:03 PM

Yes, that is the correct reporting for a dividend distribution.