Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 6, 2019 4:43:58 AM

Where do I enter Clothing Expenses for my Small Business?

I own a small business that I had to purchase clothing for. Where do I enter that expense at?

0 1 4494
1 Best answer
Jun 6, 2019 4:43:59 AM

Just a heads up:  be careful with clothing expenses.  Unless it's a uniform or something with your company's logo on it, the IRS will consider it to be "dual use" (meaning business & personal) and therefore not deductible.  However, if the clothing is some form of necessary "safety gear," then you're probably okay.

You'll enter this in the Business Income & Expenses section of TurboTax Self-Employed by clicking Business Expenses and selecting Other Common Business Expenses.

Here you'll see a list of business expenses and you'll scroll to the bottom and click on Other Misc Expenses.  That will take you to a write-in grid where you can provide a description and enter the amount.

1 Replies
Jun 6, 2019 4:43:59 AM

Just a heads up:  be careful with clothing expenses.  Unless it's a uniform or something with your company's logo on it, the IRS will consider it to be "dual use" (meaning business & personal) and therefore not deductible.  However, if the clothing is some form of necessary "safety gear," then you're probably okay.

You'll enter this in the Business Income & Expenses section of TurboTax Self-Employed by clicking Business Expenses and selecting Other Common Business Expenses.

Here you'll see a list of business expenses and you'll scroll to the bottom and click on Other Misc Expenses.  That will take you to a write-in grid where you can provide a description and enter the amount.