Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Returning Member
posted Mar 1, 2024 1:12:04 PM

No longer doing Ebay sales as self employed. Had a regular job for 2023. Do I delete schedule C or enter 0?

starting november 2022 I stopped selling on ebay reselling goods as self employment. I started a regular wage paying job that gives me a w2. For 2023 taxes I have no 1099s for ebay sales or 0 sales. My self employment business still shows up in turbo tax. Do I delete the self employment business on turbo tax or do I still file schedule C but put the sales amount at 0? Thanks for the help

0 2 348
2 Replies
Level 3
Mar 1, 2024 1:35:59 PM

So if you stopped the business and had no sales or other income you may drop or delete the business in TurboTax .  So you don't need to file a Schedule C.  If you had any business expenses paid in 2023 related to your 2022 sales you may want to keep you Schedule C showing $0 sales and then the expenses from 2022 paid in 2023.    Otherwise drop or delete the Schedule C in TurboTax.  Hope this hepls

Expert Alumni
Mar 2, 2024 5:39:22 AM

As long as you have no income or expenses to report in 2023 for the business that you stopped operating in 2022, then you can delete the Schedule C from your 2023 tax return.  

The exception to this would be if you had Assets entered as part of the business on which you were claiming depreciation or had claimed a special depreciation deduction or Section 179 deduction.  If that is the case, then you must dispose of those Assets through the Schedule C instead of simply deleting the form.  

@westcoastin510