Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Mar 7, 2021 2:28:51 PM

I was asked if my business was an SSTB and I mistakenly chose yes. How do I change this to no?

0 7 1792
7 Replies
Expert Alumni
Mar 7, 2021 3:07:08 PM

Make sure that you are logged in and have the tax return open.  In the Search box, type QBI and on the "Jump to qbi".  See below.

An specified service trade or business (SSTB) is a trade or business involving the performance of services in the fields of health, law, accounting, actuarial science, performing arts, consulting, athletics, financial services, investing and investment management, trading, dealing in certain assets or any trade or business.

Mar 8, 2021 5:57:13 AM

I do that and I'm told I qualify for the QBI deduction. I click continue and the window just reloads. If I open Dev tools and look at the console log it's showing some invalid configuration properties

Config: Invalid property 2.71454ed3ec944229ef29826bd4d9.js:2

logLocal seems to be the invalid config key

I also see this in the console log

TTO: Resetting data to an empty model.; component=FuegoJS; version=; viewId=; verBC=8.8.1; verTTO=7.0.8 null

Returning Member
Apr 6, 2021 11:33:27 AM

These instructions are for TurboTax Online. How do I change my SSTB answer in the Mac download Home & Business product?

I have changed it in the form but the EasyStep doesn't match what I did in the form. 

Returning Member
Apr 6, 2021 11:34:58 AM

Just to clarify, even though I changed the form to say NO, my business is not an SSTB, I still see this in the EasyStep summary: "Based on what you've told us, it looks like you don't qualify for this deduction."

How do I change "what you've told us" -- how do I get the question to appear again in EasyStep?

Expert Alumni
Apr 6, 2021 11:52:09 AM

Try deleting the form 8995 in the forms view to break the connections and then clicking through the schedule C interview in the step-by-step view again. At the end of the schedule C questions you should arrive at the QBI questions. 

Level 1
May 3, 2021 9:42:50 AM

I have the same issue. I errantly marked yes to being a SSTB.  I have tried all of the steps suggested here, and it still will not let me change that designation. What else should I do? I'd hate for a Turbo Tax system glitch to be the reason I lose a valuable deduction. 

Level 3
Dec 28, 2022 5:22:54 AM

Hey there -- did you ever figure this out?

Karin