Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 7, 2019 3:17:45 PM

I received a 1099-MISC in my name. Schedule C is requiring me to enter a business name, address and EIN, but I am not a Corporation.

Turbox Tax will not let me e-file with the EIN blank

0 1 1177
1 Best answer
Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 3:17:46 PM

Although it may be news to you that you “have a business” (and most of the other people who get their first 1099-MISC); The IRS considers anything in box 7 of 1099-MISC to be self employment income. Enter the 1099-Misc income, at Other Common income / income from a 1099-MISC . TurboTax (TT) will complete Schedule C or C-EZ for you and allow you to deduct any expenses associated with this income. You'll also have to pay self employment tax (social security & Medicare) on any profits greater than $400. These types of payments are frequently done this way. Your "employer" is not the only one.

You do not need a business name.  You may use your own name and home address. You do not need to be a corporation or company, you are simply a self employed person. You do not need an EIN. Go back thru the interview and answer  no, when asked if you have an EIN

The IRS also considers undocumented cash income (no W-2 or 1099-MISC), for work performed, to be self employment income.

1 Replies
Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 3:17:46 PM

Although it may be news to you that you “have a business” (and most of the other people who get their first 1099-MISC); The IRS considers anything in box 7 of 1099-MISC to be self employment income. Enter the 1099-Misc income, at Other Common income / income from a 1099-MISC . TurboTax (TT) will complete Schedule C or C-EZ for you and allow you to deduct any expenses associated with this income. You'll also have to pay self employment tax (social security & Medicare) on any profits greater than $400. These types of payments are frequently done this way. Your "employer" is not the only one.

You do not need a business name.  You may use your own name and home address. You do not need to be a corporation or company, you are simply a self employed person. You do not need an EIN. Go back thru the interview and answer  no, when asked if you have an EIN

The IRS also considers undocumented cash income (no W-2 or 1099-MISC), for work performed, to be self employment income.