Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 6, 2019 1:25:08 PM

I am in a registered domestic partnership and have a K-1. Do I submit that income as community property income?

0 5 850
1 Best answer
Jun 6, 2019 1:25:13 PM

If you are in a RDP in California, then your K-1 income will be considered community property and you will each need to include 50% of the partnership interest on your separate federal returns (and the same applies if filing separately in CA).

If the K-1 is in your name, then you will include the entire amount of the K-1 but need to make an adjusting entry on line 21 of your 1040 to income a negative amount for 1/2 of the K-1 income (titled " K-1 adjustment for community property income"). Your partner will need to make a similar adjustment for a positive amount.

(Please note if the K-1 is a loss, then the adjustment will be the reverse of the information above (you would have a positive adjustment and your partner would have a negative adjustment.)

Please click on this link for more information - https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/faq/dompart.shtml

5 Replies
Jun 6, 2019 1:25:10 PM

Are you filing jointly? Or are you filing separately and live in a community property state?

Jun 6, 2019 1:25:12 PM

@TurboTaxDeeS Filing separately in California

Jun 6, 2019 1:25:13 PM

If you are in a RDP in California, then your K-1 income will be considered community property and you will each need to include 50% of the partnership interest on your separate federal returns (and the same applies if filing separately in CA).

If the K-1 is in your name, then you will include the entire amount of the K-1 but need to make an adjusting entry on line 21 of your 1040 to income a negative amount for 1/2 of the K-1 income (titled " K-1 adjustment for community property income"). Your partner will need to make a similar adjustment for a positive amount.

(Please note if the K-1 is a loss, then the adjustment will be the reverse of the information above (you would have a positive adjustment and your partner would have a negative adjustment.)

Please click on this link for more information - https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/faq/dompart.shtml

Jun 6, 2019 1:25:15 PM

@TurboTaxDeeS Thank you!

Jun 6, 2019 1:25:16 PM

You are very welcome 🙂 (I meant to say your partner above - I edited my typo.)