Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 4
posted Jun 4, 2019 1:33:59 PM

Does Turbo tax Business efile CA FORM 568 for single member LLC or only for multi member LLC? I'm hearing different answers on that

Downloaded TT home and Business and it won't efile CA Form 568 for single member LLC. They now have to be efiled! Will TurboT business be able to efile for Single member? On the box cover it says "multi member LLC" and I read somewhere it doesnt efile Single member CA form 568. Before I purchase another turbo tax I want to make sure it efiles single member LL Form 568

0 96 23764
24 Replies
Level 9
Jun 4, 2019 1:34:01 PM

TurboTax Business only handles the multi-member LLC, not single-member. If you are using TurboTax Home & Business desktop version or Self-Employed online version, the Form 568 has to be printed and mailed. Form 568 for single-member LLC's can't be e-filed in any of the TurboTax product versions. The State of California’s Franchise Tax Board will allow you a waiver based on a few reasons, and due to technology constraints of the software you are using, you can request the e-file waiver.

So go here https://www.ftb.ca.gov/professionals/busefile/Business_eFile_Waiver_Request.asp and request an e-file waiver so that you can paper file this form since the software version you are using won't allow e-file for it. 

You will then print and mail Form 568 to this address:

FRANCHISE TAX BOARD 
PO BOX 942857 
SACRAMENTO CA 94257-0501

Level 15
Jun 4, 2019 1:34:03 PM

@TurboTaxAndreaC1  There have been several posts here lately about this, as the users say that CA requires that this form be e-filed. Thanks for the explanation.

Level 4
Jun 4, 2019 1:34:04 PM

Geez, finally an answer! Thank you so much, Andrea. It's mind boggling and frustrating that Turbo tax is selling a product that doesnt accommodate this.

Level 9
Jun 4, 2019 1:34:06 PM

@jp4343 you are most welcome! Glad I could help in some way. And @SweetieJean you are welcome!

Level 3
Jun 4, 2019 1:34:07 PM

I would love to have e-filing supported for form 568 as well.

Jun 4, 2019 1:34:12 PM

I would love to have eFiling form 568 supported in turbotax online! For single member LLCs, we would otherwise have to buy a third party tax software just to file that one form. It seems like turbotax business doesn't even have it....

Jun 4, 2019 1:34:13 PM

Does anyone know where the paper 568 form can be found, once you are granted an efile waiver?

Jun 4, 2019 1:34:14 PM

@TurboTaxAndreaC1 Turbo Tax Home and Business does not seem to be generating a paper form 568 to be mailed in? Finished my full return and it's not included anywhere.

Level 9
Jun 4, 2019 1:34:16 PM

@jake here is link for the paper form 568 <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2017/17_568.pdf">https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2017/17_568.pdf</a> and @kylenash48 did you get this resolved? If not, what type of LLC do you have (single member or multi-member)?

Level 1
Jun 4, 2019 1:34:17 PM

Thank you.  I followed your link and requested a waiver due to technology constraints of Turbotax Home and Business software and FTB accepted immediately.

Jun 4, 2019 1:34:18 PM

I filled out the turbo tax self employed and it did include form 568 but it looks like you have to separately mail the LLC tax voucher (form 3522) along w/ an $800 check/money order to the franchise tax board.

After reviewing my return, turbo tax included a cutout form 3522 filled in with all the pertinent info in the the copy of my submitted return

Jun 4, 2019 1:34:20 PM

I filled out the turbo tax self employed and it did include form 568 but it looks like you have to separately mail the LLC tax voucher (form 3522) along w/ an $800 check/money order to the franchise tax board.

After reviewing my return, turbo tax included a cutout form 3522 filled in with all the pertinent info in the the copy of my submitted return

Jun 4, 2019 1:34:21 PM

The fact that Turbo Tax Home and Business doesn't e-file California form 568 for "disregarded entities" such as my single member LLC is a real problem! I was talking with FTB about another issue and I was told that they had not received my 568 for 2016 AND 2017 and that I may now need to pay penalties and interest for filing late! Naturally I'm extremely unhappy about this. Taking care of my business e-filings was a major consideration when I purchased TT. If TT can't perform this function for CA, there should be a BIG, RED Flag/warning/disclaimer. Intuit may owe me some serious $$.

Jun 4, 2019 1:34:22 PM

I concur with the last comment.  Why would one purchase TT and it not be able to eFile the correct state forms?  How hard can it be to create the proper forms?  But, more importantly, why does TT recognize what forms are required for the specific LLC and business situation.  The fact that TT creates and files Form 565 when it should be Form 568 is problematic and an issue that Intuit should be held accountable to fixing, bith through programming and recoupment of fees and penalties.

Level 1
Jun 4, 2019 1:34:24 PM

I also think this should be included in TT Home & Business. It is highly misleading and frustrating that Intuit advertises this version as being able to handle all needs for a Single Member LLC. Hopefully they fix this in next years version or I will be researching the competition.

Jun 4, 2019 1:34:25 PM

I got a notice from the FTB that I failed to file this form from a few years ago...didn't even know I needed to! At first I thought I'd forgotten to pay the yearly fee and would be charged lots of interest, but I'd only not filed this 568 form. I hope that does not mean I owe any penalties. I guess I'll find out soon. At least TT should tell us that we need to file this manually, not sure why it would not...but it'd be even better if they'd add it in to their e-filings for 2018. After many years of using their product, I might need to go elsewhere if they do not.

Jun 4, 2019 1:34:27 PM

It is very dishonest to say in TT that 568 MUST be filed electronically with a few exceptions. Then it turns out TT users are the exceptions! Only later do I find out you just grifted me for $30 telling me I had to file electronically and then never clarifying that you have no ability or intention of doing it.

Jun 4, 2019 1:34:28 PM

Sorry, $25.

Jun 4, 2019 1:34:30 PM

PATHETIC Turbo Tax doesn't support efile of 568

Jun 4, 2019 1:34:31 PM

Also, it's my understanding that IF you manually complete your Form 568, that you can file it by mailing it in. With that being said, I'm not sure that doing it this way is acceptable but the law does state that "...entities that prepare an original or amended return using tax preparation software to electronically file (e-file) their return to us." Does anyone know the answer to this? Can we just manually prepare and file??

Level 1
Jun 4, 2019 1:34:33 PM

For tax year 2018, TT printed form 568, but gave no instruction on the summary cover page for my state taxes (CA) as to whether this form needed to be signed and mailed.  IF if needs to be mailed, the least TT can do is tell us!  I've filled out the waiver request and am mailing 568 assuming the information in the above posts (albeit now a year old) is still correct.    Thanks to those who take the time to post for the assistance !

Jun 4, 2019 1:34:34 PM

I am running into the same unknown.. looking at my 2018 filed return and form 568 appears to be included.. how would one know if you have to actually have to request the e-file and then submit it manually.. I wonder if anything has changed over the past year? @jerrybern, or anyone please let us know if you found a concrete answer. I am going to call TurboTax to find out on Monday.

Level 2
Jun 15, 2019 6:01:57 PM

I agree with the postings of frustration. LLCs are increasingly used and especially by single member LLCs. This is a glaring deficiency Intuit.

Level 2
Jun 15, 2019 6:09:38 PM

Hi AndreaC1,

I guess I am confused. I checked Intuit's list of supported forms at this link.

https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotaxbusiness_ca_windows_llc.html

This lists FTB568 as available for print and efile. That begs the question: Where???