Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 2
posted Jan 19, 2024 9:15:49 AM

Can’t e-file schedule C

I have the TurboTax Deluxe disc and I’m unable to e-file my return. I have a w-2 and business income and expenses. When I go to e-file it says that some forms can’t be efiled but it doesn’t tell me which forms.

3 195 5659
0 Best answer
24 Replies
Level 15
Jan 19, 2024 9:23:24 AM

s.  Click Review to see if you are missing some forms needed in order to e-file.

Many federal and state forms are not yet available.  Check here for form availability. The dates are subject to change.

Tax form availability tool,

No hurry to e-file since the IRS will not begin to accept/reject 2023 e-files until January 29.   And….a state return cannot be accepted until after the IRS accepts your federal return.

Level 2
Jan 19, 2024 9:30:08 AM

Thank you for responding. I checked the review and it doesn’t show me which forms. When I deleted my schedule C information then I am able to e-file, but according to the tax availability tool Schedule C is available. I even tried to update the disc but it says it’s up to date. 

Level 15
Jan 19, 2024 9:32:31 AM
Level 14
Jan 19, 2024 12:03:48 PM

Out of curiosity, why does it matter which form can't be filed?  One or more can't be filed yet, so you need to wait.

Level 2
Jan 19, 2024 12:26:17 PM

Because according to TurboTax the forms that I am using are available and ready to e-file. 

Level 3
Jan 20, 2024 1:01:30 PM

I am having the same issue. You are the first person to post about it. So glad it's not just me. Still don't know when this will be resolved.

Thanks for posting

Level 2
Jan 20, 2024 3:31:21 PM

Thank you!! Now I know I’m not the only one as well. Hopefully it will get resolved soon for the both of us 

Level 2
Jan 21, 2024 2:11:31 AM

You are not the only one. I am having problem with schedule C and when I delete the information on one of the lines it will file it. They must have a glitch in the system or have not issued the update.

Level 3
Jan 21, 2024 2:14:23 AM

Thank you. Please post any useful update to this issue that you find and I will do the same.

Level 3
Jan 21, 2024 2:25:39 AM

I might also add that I am using the HOME & BUSINESS version , not DELUXE. This would suggest that the issue is not exclusive to only the DELUXE version. Just FYI.

Level 3
Jan 22, 2024 4:25:21 AM

I have been combing through the internet and the only thing I can find is that e-fiing for individual tax through intuit does not start until Jan. 29th. My only issue with this is that when I delete the Sch C file it looks as if it will let me e-file now which is confusing. I will post a screen shot (web link did not work) below to the page that seems to confirm the Jan.29th date.

Level 15
Jan 22, 2024 4:53:57 AM

@eddie epic 

The screenshot you posted is for the PROFESSIONAL tax programs which have different dates then the TT program.

In TT click on the REVIEW tab to see what is holding you up and when it may be released.  

Level 3
Jan 22, 2024 8:13:01 AM

I have the same problem. I am self employed and I am not able to efile. Although everything is correct. Do I just need to wait? Is there a fix to this. I had Turbo Tax basic, I upgraded to deluxe for $30 more dollars. It does not work. As long as I have the schedule c attached it will not allow me to efile. In the rev iew tab it does not show anything and nothing has been over ridden. This is a problem with your software that needs to be fixed soon so that I can efile my taxes

Level 15
Jan 22, 2024 8:18:50 AM

Maybe you are waiting for some forms.  Click Review to see if you are missing some forms needed in order to e-file.

Many federal and state forms are not yet available.  Check here for form availability. The dates are subject to change.

Tax form availability tool,

No hurry to e-file since the IRS will not begin to accept/reject 2023 e-files until January 29.   And….a state return cannot be accepted until after the IRS accepts your federal return.

Level 2
Jan 22, 2024 9:03:26 AM

Same for me cant file Schedule C, I have no issue filing the personal part, as soon i enter one single letter in the business part it wont let me file anymore only by paper. Turbotax Home & Business! 

Hopefully this will be resolved asap! 

Level 3
Jan 22, 2024 10:59:50 AM

Thanks for posting. As you can see I am active on this post. In my last post I expressed where I am currently with this situation. I am hoping that we are waiting for an update to fix this issue. I would add that some schedule C efile attempts where able to be done several days ago but around the 18th is when this issue started. I also know that the IRS has changed the efile date to the 29th. It was an earlier date before. Please come back if you get it resolved as I will do the same.

Thank you

Level 3
Jan 22, 2024 11:05:48 AM

Thanks for posting. I posted the screenshot just to show that e-file dates have changed according to the IRS regardless of the program you use. I use home&business but I think this is irrelevant as we have people here with various versions having the same issue. Hitting review does not expose any more clarity and just runs you back in a circle towards attempting to file. I have thoroughly checked and all my forms are ready for print and efile. This is likely an update issue through intuit.  I do appreciate you jumping in and trying to help. I hope I was clear and not to be argumentative. 

Thank you Critter

Level 3
Jan 25, 2024 4:53:55 AM

Has any of you been successful filing with a Schedule C? I'm having the same issue, Turbo Tax Deluxe desktop. I got updates this morning and still can't e-file. Thanks!

Returning Member
Jan 25, 2024 7:20:42 AM

Same issue here trying to file a schedule C and two W2s.  The schedule C is preventing me from efiling. If anyone gets any additional info please update the thread! Thanks. 

Level 3
Jan 25, 2024 8:01:48 AM

Thanks for posting. I am pretty active on this thread. I check it everyday and will always come back with any info. I was just doing a screen share with turbotax customer rep and they could not offer any remedy as of yet. I believe this will have to result in a future update but maybe not enough people have complained yet. I am using the Jan 29th efile date as my measuring stick for when this issue will pick up more steam. By the way I am on HOMEandBUSINESS an am not allowed to file efile. Before it was the schedule C prohibiting this but after today's update {which I was hoping would help) now even with the Sched C deleted it still won't let me efile.

Level 2
Jan 25, 2024 8:27:45 AM

I was hoping after the update this morning that it would be resolved. It seems like we are all in the same boat and TT doesn’t have any answers. They keep saying to check the tool to see which forms are available but clearly there is an issue with the Desktop Schedule C forms. I wonder if it is the same issue with TT online. 

Level 3
Jan 25, 2024 9:11:50 AM

I know its a problem with their system. They are just saying that we have to wait. It is a glitch that they have. I know. Because some people I know have been able to file and others have not. They just have not fixed it. As far as I am concerned. This is negligence. If this does not get fixed or they do not put out a statement. It will be legally worst for them. I hate being patronized. I want answers.

Level 3
Jan 25, 2024 10:03:10 AM

thank you so much for posting. By the way are you on PC or MAC and what operating system? This is one aspect we have not commented on.

Level 3
Jan 25, 2024 10:03:41 AM

By the way are you on PC or MAC and what operating system? This is one aspect we have not commented on.