Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jan 25, 2020 8:53:16 PM

What do I do if Intuit TurboTax made a mistake on my taxes?

0 168 16466
24 Replies
Level 15
Jan 25, 2020 8:56:58 PM

What mistake do you think TT made?   What tax year?

Intuit Alumni
Feb 6, 2020 8:38:55 AM

If you believe that TurboTax made a mistake on your taxes, please follow the directions listed below. Please click this TurboTax Help link How do I submit a claim under the TurboTax 100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee or 100% Accurate, Expert Approved Guarantee? to learn more. 

Before you submit your claim, make sure that:

• You received an assessment notice regarding a tax return that shows the penalties and/or interests you owe.
  • Your contact information is current.
  • You filed an amended return after we fixed the error if we asked you to do so. (Don't worry about this part if you didn't receive these instructions from us).
  • For the 100% Accurate Calculations Guarantee:

Returning Member
Feb 28, 2020 7:11:03 AM

Hi! 

My issue is that although I entered the correct amounts from my W2 turbotax filed my 1040 with double the income so I owe $500+. I tried to do the amend however the correct numbers are in there already so I don't understand how that would have the correct income amount but what was filed was incorrect. Not sure how to go about correcting this if there are two different entries.

I clicked the link provided, but 2019 is not available to file a claim. 

Please Help!

Intuit Alumni
Feb 28, 2020 10:10:26 AM

See the link below for TurboTax guarantees. https://turbotax.intuit.com/corp/guarantees/

Nov 9, 2020 3:59:12 PM

I just found out that the tax exempt interest reported on my Federal return was not transferred to my State return. This was in 2017

Level 15
Nov 9, 2020 4:08:48 PM

When you entered the tax exempt interest there was a follow up screen to indicate which state it belonged to ... failure to correctly identify this is a data entry error by the user not a TT flaw.  

Nov 26, 2020 4:13:22 PM

I received an audit by mail which states my 2018 taxes included a deduction for prior year AMT.  I didn't input that, assume TT did and don't know if it was correct or not.  How do I check to see if the deduction was correct when I didn't compute or input anything?  I did have prior years of AMT, but I'm pretty sure there wouldn't have been a carry over to 2018.

Level 15
Nov 26, 2020 4:58:00 PM
Level 2
Jan 29, 2021 1:08:04 AM

I went to file my taxes and turbotax said good job on filing your taxes early but form 8889 isnt available sign up for email notifications so I did.  I signed on the next day it said the same thing but no forms were listed underneath this time and it let me continue BUT now my 8889 form says DO NOT FILE FORM NOT FINAL  why ? I checked and everything is correct 

Level 15
Jan 29, 2021 4:39:46 AM

First don't be in a rush to file, the IRS will not start processing returns until 2/12 at the earliest so you have time to make sure everything is correct.  

Now go back to the Federal tab and click on Federal Review ... see if you can clear that section or there are still things you need to wait on.   If everything is kosher there then click on the REVIEW tab  and then to the FILE tab.  

Mar 7, 2021 8:34:00 AM

Call them where they put you on hold will not even doing anything and then come back and tell you it’s the IRS fault. This year turbo tax decided to “add” a mysterious relief credit to my return even though I already received the full amount for both. This has caused the IRS to delay my return based on that information. When I called customer service I was unable to get any type of additional information and when I informed him regarding line 30’s amount he seemed surprised. Hoping this resolved soon for myself as well as other who are truly needing their return. 

Level 2
Mar 14, 2021 1:43:09 PM

Subject: 2020 Tax Return.

Just want you to be aware of an issue with your software and tech support.

I hope this gets escalated before it happens on a mass scale – not good PR.

I have used your product for decades and have been happy with the accurate results.

Over the past few years the product has become more about ads than accuracy.

The issues -

Your software doubled last year's state refund applied to this year's tax.

On import from 2019 the Massachusetts State refund applied to our 2020 estimated taxes came over as $618 instead of $309. Exactly double.

Tech support stated it cannot be fixed - Now I need to file my state by paper through the mail to correct the mistake. Along with all the supporting documentation to explain this situation.

Support(Delinda, Deronda?) was friendly but no help.

She stated she sent a refund for the $40 state charge by email. Just a lie to get me off the phone – And I don’t really care about the 40 bucks.

Due to this issue the problem will carry forward so I will not use your product going forward. It can't be trusted and I'm not filing a paper return every year.

Up until this year your product worked accurately.  Although painful with the ads. Maybe allow the user to check a box to prevent them. I don't care how many times you ask if I want to upgrade to MAX I'm not using it.

Good bye Turbo Tax.

Level 1
Mar 15, 2021 8:30:20 AM

I answered that I received all economic stimulus/recovery payments yet Turbo Tax claimed a $600 credit on line 30? 

Level 2
Mar 15, 2021 1:55:05 PM

Appears to be lack of product testing prior to the 2020 roll out. It would be nice if tech support actually provided support.

Level 2
Mar 15, 2021 1:58:27 PM

I have the same question.  I just filed today.  My taxable income was $57,000.  Turbo Tax said my federal income tax was $2,000, getting me a large refund.  However, the IRS tax tables show the tax should have been $6,500.  I can see no possible reason for the lower tax.  I believe it is an error that will come back to haunt me with penalties and interest in the future.  How do I deal with this??  Thanks.

Rich W.

Level 15
Mar 15, 2021 2:01:27 PM

Did you have any qualified dividends or capital gains?  Or did you claim the Stimulus on 1040 line 30 that you already got?  Look at your return.  What lines don't you understand?

Level 2
Mar 15, 2021 2:38:12 PM

I am replying to VolvoGirl.  Yes, I have qualified dividends and capital gains, but all that happens before taxable income.  Taxable income is the final bottom line of which your tax is determined.  You simply go to the table and post the tax.  I am a CPA and very experienced and I cannot imagine anything that would come between taxable income and what the table says your tax is?  Anyone have a clue other than a Turbo Tax error??

Rich W.

Level 15
Mar 15, 2021 2:40:55 PM

If you are a CPA then you already know this.............

If you have capital gains or qualified dividends the tax is not taken from the tax table but is calculated separately from schedule D.  The tax will be calculated on the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet.  It does not get filed with your return.  In the online version you need to save your return as a pdf file and include all worksheets to see it.

For the Desktop version you can switch to Forms Mode and open the worksheet to see it.  Click Forms in the upper right (upper left for Mac) and look through the list and open the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet.

Level 3
Mar 22, 2021 10:16:14 AM

You can spin your wheels for a long time before you finally get to their link about Accuracy Guarantee. After reading their language you find out that their only obligation is to help you if you get audited or fined by IRS. If you get to a customer representative you will probably be reminded that YOU approved the return, and are therefore responsible for catching any mistakes... I may not have all the wording correct, but the bottom line is that you are SOL. One huge mistake that Turbotax made this year was entering $1200 in Line 30 on many returns in error. The customer did nothing wrong. Those returns are being delayed for weeks or months by IRS and the refund amount is being adjusted downward by $1200. Turbotax is being very slippery with its responses to this error. They must have made this mistake on a lot of returns and don't want to lose the revenue. If you happen to be lucky and pin someone down, they may agree to giving you a refund - once they have been payed out of your Federal return (which is delayed because of their mistake). Be patient and be persistent. Making an honest mistake is one thing. Trying to deny responsibility is crooked.

Level 3
Mar 22, 2021 10:20:06 AM

Trust me, they did that to a lot of people this year. I hope they finally admit their mistake. I can accept honest mistakes. I hate dishonesty and cover-ups, especially when it pertains to finances.

Level 1
Mar 22, 2021 10:32:34 AM

As it turns out as suspected,for some reason they gave me a $600 recovery rebate/Stimulus credit on line 30 which I didn't claim. I said I received all recovery checks. That's a credit if you didn't. Or receive one or part of one. Thing is I never did. It gave me credit anyway.

Level 3
Mar 22, 2021 11:08:10 AM

I suspect this is a really large issue. I hope Turbotax comes clean and does the right thing. Cheers.

Level 15
Mar 22, 2021 11:16:55 AM

@montanaokie1 wrote:

You can spin your wheels for a long time before you finally get to their link about Accuracy Guarantee. After reading their language you find out that their only obligation is to help you if you get audited or fined by IRS. If you get to a customer representative you will probably be reminded that YOU approved the return, and are therefore responsible for catching any mistakes... I may not have all the wording correct, but the bottom line is that you are SOL. One huge mistake that Turbotax made this year was entering $1200 in Line 30 on many returns in error. The customer did nothing wrong. Those returns are being delayed for weeks or months by IRS and the refund amount is being adjusted downward by $1200. Turbotax is being very slippery with its responses to this error. They must have made this mistake on a lot of returns and don't want to lose the revenue. If you happen to be lucky and pin someone down, they may agree to giving you a refund - once they have been payed out of your Federal return (which is delayed because of their mistake). Be patient and be persistent. Making an honest mistake is one thing. Trying to deny responsibility is crooked.

After entering all information TurboTax calculates the first and second stimulus and adds it to your refund, then it asks how much of the first and second stimulus you received and subtracts that.  If you received all the stimulus then line 30 will be zero.      TurboTax can only enter what you tell it,  it has no way to know if you received it or not.   The accuracy guarantee only covers calculation errors, not user entered data.

Level 3
Mar 22, 2021 4:02:35 PM

Hey, Macuser-22. Are you part of the cover-up? First of all, I am only talking about Turbotax Online. So, in response to your post, here's what I just did: I logged in and followed the Add Another State link to Federal Review. After you look at all your income you eventually come to the statement: "It looks like you qualified for the stimulus, did you get any payments?" I answered Yes. The next step says "Let's double-check the amounts you received.

First Round $1200

Second Round $600

Is this what you received? I answered Yes

That is the only input the customer can or does enter. That's an exact transcript of how I answered the questions. So, how did Line 30 get $1200 entered? Turbotax did it. Please get that into your skull. Turbotax made this mistake on a lot of returns. You can't shove the blame on the customer. I already have two Case numbers after talking to two different customer representatives. They both agreed with me, however, in one case they sent me a link to Accuracy Guarantee Dept. and dumped me. In the second case, she explained that Turbotax could only refund me when their payment from the IRS hit their books. (I opted to pay my fees from my Federal return vs. paying with a credit card). She gave me a case number and told me to follow up after I received my Federal return. She said she empathized with me and put notes in to have my refund approved. 

Do you think I am making this up? I would love to hear your rebuttal.