Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 7, 2019 3:43:56 PM

What do I do if I have another w-2 to enter after I filed

I received an additional W-2 for income and I have already filed my 1040, how can I add it my return?

0 2 284
1 Best answer
Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 3:43:58 PM

You cannot add a W-2, or anything else, to a return you have already filed. If your return has been accepted, wait until you get your refund. Then you have to file an amended return to add the W-2. Go to the following link for instructions to amend a 2016 tax return that you filed with TurboTax.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3061514-how-do-i-amend-a-2016-return-in-turbotax

An amended return has to be filed on a special form, Form 1040X. It cannot be e-filed. You have to print it and file it by mail. It takes the IRS up to 16 weeks to process an amended return.

Don't file the amended return until your first return has been accepted and the original refund has been paid or the payment due has been deducted from your bank account.

If you will owe additional tax, or will have to pay back part of your refund, you should file the amended return before April 18 to avoid possible penalties and interest.

If you filed a state tax return, you will have to amend that as well.

2 Replies
Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 3:43:58 PM

You cannot add a W-2, or anything else, to a return you have already filed. If your return has been accepted, wait until you get your refund. Then you have to file an amended return to add the W-2. Go to the following link for instructions to amend a 2016 tax return that you filed with TurboTax.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3061514-how-do-i-amend-a-2016-return-in-turbotax

An amended return has to be filed on a special form, Form 1040X. It cannot be e-filed. You have to print it and file it by mail. It takes the IRS up to 16 weeks to process an amended return.

Don't file the amended return until your first return has been accepted and the original refund has been paid or the payment due has been deducted from your bank account.

If you will owe additional tax, or will have to pay back part of your refund, you should file the amended return before April 18 to avoid possible penalties and interest.

If you filed a state tax return, you will have to amend that as well.

Jun 7, 2019 3:44:01 PM

Log back in and add it