Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Returning Member
posted Feb 12, 2024 3:37:19 PM

US - China Tax Treaty Question

Hello Everyone,

I have a question regarding the US-China Tax Treaty. I have been in the U.S. for more than five years as an F1 student and would like to include the U.S.-China tax treaty amount of $5000 in my tax reporting. Following previous posts and answers, I managed to input "-5000" in "Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C." However, upon filling in this amount, I noticed that my CA state refund increased by approximately $500.

Based on my research, California doesn't typically consider treaties for state tax. This leads me to believe that there might be default settings in the software, automatically applying the tax treaty to state tax. Does anyone have an idea if this setting is accurate, and if not, how can I fix this issue?

0 3 329
3 Replies
Expert Alumni
Feb 12, 2024 5:03:55 PM

CA begins with the federal AGI so you would need to add that income back into the state return as an adjustment on schedule CA.

Returning Member
Feb 13, 2024 11:22:07 AM

Hello Amy,

Thank you for your response. To clarify, should I add the $5000 tax treaty back when preparing state tax,  in "Miscellaneous" - "Other Adjustments to Income", as shown below? Is the description "Federal Tax Treaty" correct?

Expert Alumni
Feb 13, 2024 11:50:57 AM

Perfect! Great job!