Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted May 15, 2023 3:03:15 PM

Updated my wife's SSN she got in 2021 for 2020 amended tax and it says I owe tax now also she is qualified for $1800 stimulus check. Why do I owe tax when just SSN update

My wife got her SSN in 2021, so I did the 2020 amended tax return to update her SSN for the 2020 return. Along the way, it says we are qualified for her stimulus check portion of $1800. But at the same time, it says we owe $418 on federal tax. I didn't change anything other than her SSN. Nothing else was touched at all.  Why do I owe that amount and if IRS owes us the $1800 stimulus check, why wouldn't it deduct from that? I'm so confused. How do I correct this issue and able to file the 2020 amended tax return so we can get her portion of the stimulus check?

0 1 385
1 Best answer
Level 15
May 15, 2023 3:11:15 PM

You are not allowed to go back and amend any return to switch from an ITIN to a SS# after you filed to get any extra credits or benefits including the stimulus credit if the SS# was issued after filing.  Sadly the program will allow it however the IRS will not if you try to file it. 

1 Replies
Level 15
May 15, 2023 3:11:15 PM

You are not allowed to go back and amend any return to switch from an ITIN to a SS# after you filed to get any extra credits or benefits including the stimulus credit if the SS# was issued after filing.  Sadly the program will allow it however the IRS will not if you try to file it.