Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Jan 4, 2022 11:43:43 AM

The IRS apparently made an error when entering the info from my daughters paper return into their system. The box stating that she is blind was apparently checked. Her middle initial was also entered incorrectly. She does not make enough to may taxes.

0 4 330
1 Best answer
Level 15
Jan 4, 2022 12:12:23 PM

If the refund that your daughter received was the amount shown on the tax return that she filed, and the IRS is not asking for any payment, you don't have to do anything. The mistakes didn't affect the amount of her refund, and they won't affect future years. It's not necessary to fix them.

4 Replies
Level 15
Jan 4, 2022 11:50:39 AM

What is your question for the user forum?

Level 1
Jan 4, 2022 11:55:54 AM

Sorry, my question is what do we need to do about this? Does the irs keep the paper copies or scans of the paper returns so that they can fix the problem? Do we need to file an amended return even though the mistake is not ours?  WE are aware of the issue because they sent a letter to my daughter telling her that she can receive communications from the IRS in alternative formats (large print, braille, audio)

Level 15
Jan 4, 2022 12:12:23 PM

If the refund that your daughter received was the amount shown on the tax return that she filed, and the IRS is not asking for any payment, you don't have to do anything. The mistakes didn't affect the amount of her refund, and they won't affect future years. It's not necessary to fix them.

Level 15
Jan 4, 2022 5:27:43 PM

Maybe IRS will do better this year, but don't count on it.

IRS is still behind on over 6 million tax returns and here comes another huge pile.