Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 3
posted Feb 10, 2019 12:08:37 PM

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Need advice on claiming EIC after a TurboTax glitch denied me this credit

Hi there: when I filed taxes last week, the Turbotax software failed to process my Earned Income Credit. This means that my return has no Schedule EIC.

In order to amend my return will I need to file Schedule EIC along with the 1040X?

Will I also need to file Form 8862 (Information to Claim Certain Credits After Disallowance)?

I wold be so grateful for advice, as I find taxes really intimidating... 

0 5 2923
5 Replies
Employee Tax Expert
Feb 10, 2019 1:17:32 PM

No, you will only need to amend to include EIC, if you are allowed to claim it.  It can only be "disallowed" by the IRS itself, not due to it not being included in the initial tax filing.

Level 3
Feb 10, 2019 5:13:39 PM

Thank you so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to help...

Employee Tax Expert
Feb 10, 2019 6:52:04 PM

My pleasure! 

Level 3
Mar 21, 2019 7:17:15 AM

The same thing happened to me except i just mailed the form back to the IRS. Should I have amended the return or will it be ok? Also, will we be able to track it under the Amended Return tool on the IRS website?

Level 3
Mar 21, 2019 10:48:23 AM

Hi there: I just sent back the CP09 that the IRS sent me a couple weeks later. I didn't file an amend... after googling for advice, I found some info saying that if you send back the CP09 you don't have to file an amended return. Of course, now I'm searching for the website where I read that just to verify, I can't find it anywhere! But I have a feeling it might have been on the H&R Block forum...