Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 2
posted Apr 19, 2018 9:37:39 AM

Tax Extension Rejected - No option to "fix my extension"

Last night (last day to file), I filed a tax extension. I received an email from TurboTax stating my 2017 Federal Personal First Ext. has been rejected. I understand the reason why and want to fix my extension so I can resubmit it. When I log in to try to fix it, "fix my extension" is nowhere to be found despite all the TurboTax documentation saying it should be there and is easy to fix. I have a feeling TurboTax was not properly updated to handle the one-day extension the IRS issued to make the deadline April 18th, so TurboTax recognizes my extension as filed late and will not let me fix it.

I've tried to reach someone live at Intuit, but I can not because I haven't paid to talk to anyone. I am really frustrated, as I think starting a new extension will be recognized as "late" by the IRS. Anyone else have this issue and been able to reach Intuit for resolution?

2 13 5389
13 Replies
Level 2
Apr 19, 2018 11:42:17 AM

I am having the same problem exactly. However I am able to talk to the expert product support and this guy was also unable to help, though he did try as hard as he could. The feature it broken no ifs ands or buts about it. Intuit PLEASE fix this ASAP!

Hitting ALL the panic buttons..

TaxPayerGuy

Level 2
Apr 19, 2018 12:58:51 PM

TaxPayerGuy - Thank you for sharing what you learned from TurboTax product support! I appreciate it and do hope this issue gets resolved quickly  by Intuit so we do not incur a penalty for failure to file the extension on time when we were on time!

Level 2
Apr 20, 2018 1:26:34 PM

The site has changed now I can edit and fix the extension (typo in my SSN). But I cannot resubmit it.

I get this message instead, even through it's not a new filing. WTH, Intuit fix this!

Sorry, we were unable to process your submission.
Here's why:

You are past the deadline for new filings.

Apr 20, 2018 3:30:47 PM

I have the same problem!!  Has anyone received an answer??

Level 2
Apr 22, 2018 9:57:53 AM

I have not tried the workaround yet, but I just found this on the support page: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4465802-why-am-i-unable-to-fix-my-rejected-extension

Level 2
Apr 22, 2018 10:10:35 AM

Note: If you are paying some taxes when filing the extension, and you put in your bank account details, you are required to put in a pay date. You can't put in a date after 4/18/18, and it won't accept a date in the past. So, basically you are screwed. Thanks a lot, TurboTax.

Level 1
Apr 22, 2018 7:32:19 PM

I wonder if I use a competitor's system to "correct" my extension by filing a new one will that register as timely?

Apr 23, 2018 1:12:13 PM

same problem

Level 2
Apr 23, 2018 9:23:23 PM

Not it does not work. I have tried that every day since Friday.

Also they say "before the date of 04/23/18" but the IRS allows up to and including 4/24. Why are they limiting it.

Apr 23, 2018 9:53:10 PM

I had the same problem exactly. I kept trying and now it is after the 23 deadline!

Level 2
Apr 24, 2018 4:48:56 PM

I never got to submit the fix. I am disappointed beyond words.  This is the first time Intuit support has completely failed me, and I see other people as well.  It's a general problem affecting multiple people and they ignored it. Unlikely that I am going to use Intuit next year as they apparently never plan to fix the ability to resubmit an extension, and did not go to bat with the IRS for us over this either.

Apr 24, 2018 8:16:47 PM

I’m in the same boat. This is totally lame.

Jun 20, 2019 7:37:06 AM

How do I contact the IRS to prove that I submitted my extensin request on time?  They co not answer the phone and there is no email address.  I have proof of mailing.