Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Apr 1, 2021 8:40:51 AM

Question about orig return after amending

When I first filed I received some money.  I realized I forgot to include the sale of my house and amended.

When I amended, it said my no refund or amount due.

So what does that mean for my original return?  Will I need to pay that money back?

0 3 182
3 Replies
Expert Alumni
Apr 1, 2021 9:03:37 AM

No, you don't pay back the money. Did you sell your primary home?

If your amended return is showing no refund and no amount due, it is because the sale of your house didn't affect your original return.

If you owned and lived in the place for two of the five years before the sale, then up to $250,000 of profit is tax-free. If you are married and file a joint return, the tax-free amount doubles to $500,000.

Apr 1, 2021 9:29:04 AM

My husband and I are divorcing.  That was the family home.  Now I own a mobile home and he is renting.  I put in the money I got after paying bills and giving him his share.

Expert Alumni
Apr 1, 2021 9:47:23 AM

As long as you didn't sell your house for $500,000 more than you paid for it and had lived in it for two of the past five years, the sale of the house wasn't taxable. When you amended, there was no refund or amount due on the amended return. That means that nothing changed after you entered the sale of the house.

Your original return is fine and you do not have to pay the refund back to the IRS. You amended to report the sale of your house and it did not change your the numbers on your original tax return.