Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Feb 29, 2024 3:57:09 AM

My refund was direct deposited for years, same account no change. The last 2 years I received a paper check. Why? My information is correct, I triple checked.

They direct deposited before. I did check the direct deposit on return, put correct account number, and did not have any other deposits from the IRS this year. No one seems to have an answer as to why the IRS keeps mailing my refund checks.

0 5 168
5 Replies
Level 15
Feb 29, 2024 5:31:23 AM

Only the IRS can tell you.    TurboTax receives no information from the IRS after you file your return and the IRS accepts it for processing.  You can call the IRS to ask them.

To  call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

Level 1
Feb 29, 2024 5:42:30 AM

Yes, thank you. I was seeing if anyone else experienced similar situation and what ended up being the delimma. Appreciate your response.

Level 15
Mar 1, 2024 5:55:12 PM

Just thinking out loud a bit.   Is this just an ordinary everyday bank account as opposed to a brokerage account?  Brokerages sometimes change up their deposit process.

Level 1
Mar 3, 2024 6:42:47 AM

Yes, everyday ordinary bank account. I toughed it out and called IRS. I was told they got more cautious on direct deposits. Even though both parties are listed on a bank account, the primary account holder has to match the primary tax filer. Must have changed policy 2 years ago when they started mailing mine. 

Level 15
Mar 3, 2024 4:33:11 PM

@jjpando wrote:

Yes, everyday ordinary bank account. I toughed it out and called IRS. I was told they got more cautious on direct deposits. Even though both parties are listed on a bank account, the primary account holder has to match the primary tax filer. Must have changed policy 2 years ago when they started mailing mine. 

Thanks for returning to post the cause of your situation.  That may help others who have a joint account situation with direct deposit.