Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 6, 2019 6:30:40 AM

I need to amend my tax return as I forgot to include interest. My tax return lincluded Form 6251. Do I need to submit form 6251 along with 1040x and Sch B?

I need to amend my tax return as I forgot to include interest. My tax return included Form 6251. What Forms / Schedules do I need to include with Form 1040X? Do I need to include Form 6251 ?

0 1 464
1 Best answer
Level 15
Jun 6, 2019 6:30:43 AM

You have to include any forms or schedules that change as a result of adding the interest. Save a PDF of your tax return with all the worksheets before you start the amended return, so that you will have a record of the original return. You can compare the amended forms to the original forms in the PDF to see what changed. I expect that Form 6251 will change because adding interest will change the amount of your income. If Form 6251 does change, you have to include it with the 1040X.

1 Replies
Level 15
Jun 6, 2019 6:30:43 AM

You have to include any forms or schedules that change as a result of adding the interest. Save a PDF of your tax return with all the worksheets before you start the amended return, so that you will have a record of the original return. You can compare the amended forms to the original forms in the PDF to see what changed. I expect that Form 6251 will change because adding interest will change the amount of your income. If Form 6251 does change, you have to include it with the 1040X.