Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 1, 2019 5:43:50 AM

I just got a tuition statement but I already e-filed . What do I have to do? Do I need to add this?

I already filed before getting this tuition statement. How do I go about to add this to my tax documents?

0 2 228
1 Best answer
Jun 1, 2019 5:43:57 AM

Since you have already filed your return, you'll need to wait for your tax return to either be rejected or accepted, if it is rejected you can make any corrections or add any information that you need to add, correct any other errors on the return and resubmit it. 

If it is accepted, you will need to amend your return to make any corrections or add any information that you did not include on your original return. You cannot e-file an amended return as this cannot be filed. You will need to print and mail the amended return in order to file it. 

Please see the following TurboTax FAQ for instructions on how to amend your 2017 tax return in TurboTax.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

2 Replies
Jun 1, 2019 5:43:57 AM

Since you have already filed your return, you'll need to wait for your tax return to either be rejected or accepted, if it is rejected you can make any corrections or add any information that you need to add, correct any other errors on the return and resubmit it. 

If it is accepted, you will need to amend your return to make any corrections or add any information that you did not include on your original return. You cannot e-file an amended return as this cannot be filed. You will need to print and mail the amended return in order to file it. 

Please see the following TurboTax FAQ for instructions on how to amend your 2017 tax return in TurboTax.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

Jun 1, 2019 5:44:07 AM

I just read somewhere that it is better to receive the return check and then amend my return and if I have to pay then I will pay back but if I get money back they will just send another check. is this correct?