Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 3, 2019 11:44:42 AM

I have a tax offset for student loans but my refund is more then i owe so how long will it take to get the rest of my refund

0 20 3454
1 Best answer
Jun 3, 2019 11:44:43 AM

Typically the IRS processes refunds within the 21-day window; however, your funds are subject to an offset which may require additional time for processing. We do not have a specific estimate for the additional time the IRS takes to process offsets. 

Please be advised: It is best to use the normal "Where is my refund?" link to track your refund. When the update shows the direct deposit date, typically the balance offset refund will deposit on that date. The status will stay in "processing" until the IRS has completed withdrawing fund for the offset program and releases the balance.  The refund amount will remain the same; however, the amount deposited in your account will reflect the difference between the total refund and the offset total. 

The Bureau of Fiscal Services has the most up to date information on offsets. Please visit the Treasury Offset Program page. For more information on the offset, please see the IRS Topic 23.

20 Replies
Jun 3, 2019 11:44:43 AM

Typically the IRS processes refunds within the 21-day window; however, your funds are subject to an offset which may require additional time for processing. We do not have a specific estimate for the additional time the IRS takes to process offsets. 

Please be advised: It is best to use the normal "Where is my refund?" link to track your refund. When the update shows the direct deposit date, typically the balance offset refund will deposit on that date. The status will stay in "processing" until the IRS has completed withdrawing fund for the offset program and releases the balance.  The refund amount will remain the same; however, the amount deposited in your account will reflect the difference between the total refund and the offset total. 

The Bureau of Fiscal Services has the most up to date information on offsets. Please visit the Treasury Offset Program page. For more information on the offset, please see the IRS Topic 23.

Jun 3, 2019 11:44:44 AM

i have a ddd of the 10th will i still get my part of the refund then

Jun 3, 2019 11:44:45 AM

Yes, you should receive your refund on that date.

Jun 3, 2019 11:44:47 AM

even if my refund amount hasn't changed i called the offset number and it days one offset of $1000.00 and my full refund is $5000.00

Jun 3, 2019 11:44:48 AM

It's going to continue to show the full amount. When the IRS releases your balance, that's when it will adjust out.

Jun 3, 2019 11:44:51 AM

My ddd was today but i have nothing yet. Called off set line my debt was paid today does anyone know when i will get the rest of my money

Jun 3, 2019 11:44:52 AM

How do you know it was paid today? When I call the treasury offset it says I may have an offset but no amount was said and then it said from who and to call that number? When I check WMR it doenst have any other code but tax topic 152

Jun 3, 2019 11:44:53 AM

@brauliosoninlaw WMR won't show you have an offset (tax topic 203) until your refund bars update to the 2nd bar (approved). Your expected refund amount will also remain the same until the treasury department takes whatever your offset is for. I'm really not too sure if that amout will ever reflect what you will actually get, if anything.

Jun 3, 2019 11:44:55 AM

Do any of you guys have an update or know when you recieved your refund last year. I'm in the same boat this year and wheres my refund hasn't updated to the path message yet. Just still says processing.

Jun 3, 2019 11:44:57 AM

@muzy1121 did it update yet?

Jun 3, 2019 11:44:58 AM

It just says your refund is still being processed. My bars arent there.

Jun 3, 2019 11:44:59 AM

Did yours?

Jun 3, 2019 11:45:01 AM

It just says it is still processing. Did you ever have bars?

Jun 3, 2019 11:45:02 AM

I did for the first few days. Now I have none. Did you? Or do you now? And this is muzy. Turbo tax removed my account saying its under review

Jun 3, 2019 11:45:03 AM

I have a offset how long would it take til I get my funds after the offset

Jun 3, 2019 11:45:04 AM

I have the same question.  IRS received my refund Feb 18, 2019, the WMR website states its processing. I have an offset but the amount that owe for my offset is less than my Federal refund amount and wanted to know if any one knows how long it takes the IRS to direct deposit the refund difference. Has anyone received the balance of their refund after their offset was paid this year (2019).

Jun 3, 2019 11:45:05 AM

I'm wondering the same guygant1, IRS says my name is approved with the full amount and will be deposited on Wednesday so does that mean I'm getting the full amount? When it's approved will it show the amount that's approved so if there was any offsets would they update that?

Jun 3, 2019 11:45:07 AM

It'll post the difference the day it says its supposed to be deposited. They automatically take it out and post the rest.

Jun 3, 2019 11:45:08 AM

So even though it says it's been approved the full amount, that doesn't mean I'm going to get the full amount it can still be offset?

I received state today. Federal expected in 3 days. (Wed)

Jun 3, 2019 11:45:09 AM

Yes it won't show the offset. That's how mine was showed the full refund amount then the offset is still taken out. The irs isnt in charge of the offset so they don't know about it. You can call the offset hotline and select option 2 and itll tell you if irs taking it out or not. Mine told me threw the hotline on the Sunday before that Wednesday I got mine