Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Feb 25, 2021 2:20:32 AM

How do I amend my 2020 michigan tax return?

0 2 744
2 Replies
Expert Alumni
Mar 1, 2021 10:47:31 AM

To amend the 2020 Michigan return, you must initiate a federal amendment to return into the program and update Michigan.

To do this in TurboTax, follow these steps:

• From Tax Home, scroll down to Your tax returns & documents and Show More.
  • Go to 2020 and select Amend(change) the return.
    • This must be selected before any changes are made to the filed return so that Form 1040-X shows what was filed first, the change, and what is filed now. 
    • Once the Amend(change) return is started, follow the prompts.

For more information, see: 2020 MI-1040 Instructions Booklet 

Level 2
May 30, 2021 4:11:44 AM

@KathrynG3 

As you note, TurboTax requires that I initiate a Federal amendment in order to do the Michigan amendment.  The Fed IRS has asked that we not file amendments (except for certain circumstances that do not apply to me).  I changed the E-File  to "not ready to file" for the Federal amendment.  A couple screens later, I can view the forms that will be E-Filed with Michigan.  One of the attached forms is the U.S 1040-X.  

On the one hand, since I am not actually filing a Federal amendment, it feels dishonest to me that the Michigan amendment would include that as an attachment.  On the other hand, the Michigan Treasury website has encouraged tax payers to E-File using the original software used.  This makes me think they are OK with what TurboTax is attaching to the amendment.  I am hesitant because I obviously don't want to file false tax forms.  What to do?