Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 6, 2019 4:29:17 AM

How can I amend my return to allow my parents to claim me as a dependent?

0 3 621
3 Replies
Jun 6, 2019 4:29:17 AM

If your return has been e-filed and accepted you will need to amend your return. Please see the following TurboTax FAQ below for instructions. Please note: your parents will need to print and mail in their tax return this year.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

Follow the steps below to change whether or not you will be claiming yourself.

1)    Sign into TurboTax Online

2)    Continue your return by click Taxes > Tax Timeline > Take me to my return. 

3)    Go to Personal Info > Personal Info Summary > and click Edit to the right of your name.

4)    Scroll down to Question 3 - Someone else can claim me on their tax return.  

a.       If you select yes – someone can claim you

b.      If you select no - you claim yourself

Returning Member
Oct 23, 2019 1:28:19 PM

What if I graduatedMay 2018 so my parents can claim me and i am claiming myself but i supported myself and paid for my expenses from July-now so its pretty split between 2018..do I say YES or NO to "Did you support yourself in 2018" 

Level 15
Oct 23, 2019 1:57:33 PM

If you were under the age of 19 during 2018 then you are their dependent ... I highly doubt you moved out July 1st and had absolutely no support from your parents for the last 6 months ... are you still on their health or auto insurance or cell phone plan ? And if you made less than 12K it makes no difference to your tax return anyway.