Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 6, 2019 12:40:01 AM

Hello, if I change my tax return to mail filing, when I get my money back, from my e-filing??

hello

0 1 277
1 Best answer
Jun 6, 2019 12:40:03 AM

As long as you have not actually filed, here's how to change filing methods if TurboTax thinks you are finished:

• If TurboTax thinks you are finished, there will be no orange "Take me to my return" button.
  • So in that case, scroll down to "Some things you can do."
  • Choose "Add a State."  (you don't really add one; that's just to get the return to open up.)
  • Once the return is open, go to the FILE tab to change the filing method.

NOTE:  Do NOT use this method to open a return to make changes/edits to an already-filed return (one that has actually been mailed or efiled.)   If you later need to make changes to an already-filed return, you have to go through the formal amending process, and your return must start off exactly as originally filed.

1 Replies
Jun 6, 2019 12:40:03 AM

As long as you have not actually filed, here's how to change filing methods if TurboTax thinks you are finished:

• If TurboTax thinks you are finished, there will be no orange "Take me to my return" button.
  • So in that case, scroll down to "Some things you can do."
  • Choose "Add a State."  (you don't really add one; that's just to get the return to open up.)
  • Once the return is open, go to the FILE tab to change the filing method.

NOTE:  Do NOT use this method to open a return to make changes/edits to an already-filed return (one that has actually been mailed or efiled.)   If you later need to make changes to an already-filed return, you have to go through the formal amending process, and your return must start off exactly as originally filed.