Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Returning Member
posted Apr 13, 2021 3:44:28 PM

filing

I could not e file 2020 taxes because my AGI did not match 2019 AGI because IRS had no record of a processed tax return for 2019.  I e filed 2019 taxes with Turbotax. Does this mean they have received 2019 and just not processed?  I owed money in 2019 and chose to pay by credit card, after 2020 was rejected I checked and charge does not appear on credit card.  Will I be penalized for late payment?

0 2 215
2 Replies
Level 15
Apr 13, 2021 3:53:01 PM

Try using 0 (zero) for the 2019 AGI.

The IRS is indeed still backlogged processing 2019 returns. But was that submission Accepted?

Expert Alumni
Apr 13, 2021 4:05:10 PM

It sounds like you may not have completed the e-file process if the IRS has no record of your tax return and your credit card was never charged.

If you successfully e-filed with TurboTax, we would have sent an email (and text message, if you opted in) telling you that your tax return was transmitted and another message telling you that your tax return was accepted. You can check by looking at your online account.

1. Sign into TurboTax and click Tax Home on the left.
  2. Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents
  3. Click on 2019. If it does not say Accepted, then you either e-filed and was rejected or you never finished the process.

The IRS will probably charge penalty and interest. After you get the bill, you can call the IRS up and request First Time Penalty Abatement.