Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 7, 2019 3:31:04 PM

Do you have to wait for an Audit Summary letter before your refund is released?

I was being audited, and I faxed over requested information. I called the IRS to check on the status and I was told that I would receive a letter within 30 days and they will release my return. I asked again to clarify what was said, and again, the representative stated that my return will be granted. Is that a possible option? I’m a little confused because I’m wondering, why not just release it instead of having me wait for a letter? (Also, my Where’s My Refund tool still says “Under Review”) Also, if that’s the case, will it still be released via my TurboTax card?

0 5 849
1 Best answer
Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 3:31:09 PM

FYI ... the WMR? tool may not show the refund release at all ever ... it is most possible you have the refund in hand but the tool still says pending ... don't worry about what that tool says too much. 

5 Replies
Alumni
Jun 7, 2019 3:31:06 PM

what did you have to fax in?  How long ago did you fax it?

I faxed the information in; It was about 3 weeks ago. I called the IRS 3 days ago.

Alumni

It can take 6-8 weeks (maybe more) for any information that's been mailed in or faxed to be processed...it all lands in a stack until a human can manually process the information.

You'll just need to wait to see if they send another letter requesting more information or letting you know it will be a longer wait, or the refund will be approved and issued.....you're at the mercy of IRS staffing and how quickly they can get through all the stacks of information.

Jun 7, 2019 3:31:07 PM

Wow; thank you for being informative, they won’t tell me anything over the phone. I appreciate you!

Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 3:31:09 PM

FYI ... the WMR? tool may not show the refund release at all ever ... it is most possible you have the refund in hand but the tool still says pending ... don't worry about what that tool says too much.