Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jan 17, 2020 7:45:45 PM

Deployed filing state taxes

Been deployed since Feb 2019 to Afghanistan. I still get state taxes taken out. How would I go about filing my taxes and what can I do to exmept myself from having them taking out in the future. Ill b

0 1 320
1 Best answer
Expert Alumni
Jan 20, 2020 2:57:11 PM

To file your returns, you have two (2) choices.  File on paper by mailing in or efile using software such as TurboTax.  You may be eligible for free filing with TurboTax.  Just go to TurboTax.com and start for free.  There is help available through your legal office or base volunteer tax assistance office as well. 

NOTE:  You do get an automatic extension of 6 months if you are in a combat zone. Your return will not be due until 6 mos after you return from deployment. 

To see how your state handles military income go here.

To update your withholding you also have two choices.  On paper with forms available in your finance office or online at Mypay.  For more information check out this helpful link or visit your legal office.   

1 Replies
Expert Alumni
Jan 20, 2020 2:57:11 PM

To file your returns, you have two (2) choices.  File on paper by mailing in or efile using software such as TurboTax.  You may be eligible for free filing with TurboTax.  Just go to TurboTax.com and start for free.  There is help available through your legal office or base volunteer tax assistance office as well. 

NOTE:  You do get an automatic extension of 6 months if you are in a combat zone. Your return will not be due until 6 mos after you return from deployment. 

To see how your state handles military income go here.

To update your withholding you also have two choices.  On paper with forms available in your finance office or online at Mypay.  For more information check out this helpful link or visit your legal office.