Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jan 27, 2021 7:27:05 AM

Can I edit my return after I’ve already filled it?

0 2 491
2 Best answers
Level 15
Jan 27, 2021 7:28:54 AM

No, Your return will show pending until the IRS opens up their e-file system (Feb 12th).  Your return will stay on TurboTax servers until the IRS is accepting returns.  You cannot get it back, & do not make any changes to your return.  The changes would not go through. 

Level 15
Jan 27, 2021 7:31:10 AM

To add:  you will have to wait until your return gets accepted or rejected.  

If your return gets rejected, you can just make the changes you need to do, then you can e-file your return again.  

If your return gets accepted, then once your original return is fully processed, you would have to amend your return to make changes.

2 Replies
Level 15
Jan 27, 2021 7:28:54 AM

No, Your return will show pending until the IRS opens up their e-file system (Feb 12th).  Your return will stay on TurboTax servers until the IRS is accepting returns.  You cannot get it back, & do not make any changes to your return.  The changes would not go through. 

Level 15
Jan 27, 2021 7:31:10 AM

To add:  you will have to wait until your return gets accepted or rejected.  

If your return gets rejected, you can just make the changes you need to do, then you can e-file your return again.  

If your return gets accepted, then once your original return is fully processed, you would have to amend your return to make changes.