Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Apr 19, 2022 9:45:28 AM

Amended Return 2021 - Do I need to send in printed copies in mail?

I amended my return for 2021 using TurboTax yesterday. My original submission for both Federal and State was accepted. The reason for amendment was because I had forgotten to add 1099-B form and after adding that there were no refund related implications. 

After submitting the amendment, I have already received email confirmation that Federal Amended Return was accepted but TurboTax mentioned that I need to print out the Federal Copy and send it via physical mail. It also generated form with payment stub which was meant for the original amount that I owed.  My original submission already had bank account information to deduct the amount owed from my bank. 

My question is;

1. Do I need to print out and send a physical copy of all forms including amended 1040X? 

2. Do I need to send in payment for the amount owed along with this? 

Thank you for your help!

0 3 436
1 Best answer
Expert Alumni
Apr 19, 2022 10:18:16 AM

You are filed and paid! Relax and call this season done.

3 Replies
Expert Alumni
Apr 19, 2022 9:56:17 AM

1. Not if you e-filed successfully.

2. If you owe the IRS money, you should pay them. You can Pay Online

Level 1
Apr 19, 2022 10:01:27 AM

Thank you Amy!

I already see the direct payment through my bank account for the original amount I owed from my original submission is being processed online. After amendment, nothing change in terms of amount I owed. Do I still need to make another payment then? I feel like transaction is already in process. Please let me know what you think.

Thank you for the quick response. 

Expert Alumni
Apr 19, 2022 10:18:16 AM

You are filed and paid! Relax and call this season done.